In 2004 and 2005 there was a growing sense among many believers that God was about to move powerfully in the New England region. Covenant for New Englandwas formed to promote the functional unity, spiritual vitality, and corporate mindset that would prepare the way for a fresh movement of God’s Spirit. In 2006, Roberto Miranda, Jeff Marks, and others involved in Covenant for New England met with British prayer leader Brian Mills to discuss how to broaden the Covenant network to include all of New England.
In February of 2007, the New England Alliance was formed consisting of representatives from all 6 New England states. This group began meeting monthly in various places around the region. Like Covenant, participants in the Alliance had a common desire for and expectation of a new great awakening in New England. Another common value was the conviction that this would not come without prayer and John 17 unity among believers. One unique aspect of Alliance gatherings was that they always began with an hour or two of prayer before any other business was brought up for discussion.
- In 2007, the Alliance and Covenant for New England helped organize the Global Day of Prayer gathering of about 3,000 in Fitchburg, Massachusetts.
- In 2008, the Alliance hosted a 6 state prayer journey to pray and connect all of the states in June of 2008. A Solemn Assembly of repentance was planned for October 4, 2008 coinciding with 10 days of prayer and fasting from Sept 29th -October 9th. On Sept 29th, the first day of the 10 Days, the stock market fell 777 points. The gathering on October 4th was marked by passionate prayer and worship from a diverse group of about 500 people in the midst of the 2008 financial meltdown.
- In 2009, the Alliance hosted another Fall Solemn Assembly with 10 days of fasting and prayer.
- A third Solemn Assembly was hosted in 2010 with partners old and new. This gathering in Plymouth, MA had a focus on rediscovering and reclaiming the Godly heritage of our nation. Around 1,500 people made the pilgrimage to Plymouth for the day of fasting and prayer
- From 2010-2011, the Alliance partnered with Vision New England and state pastor’s networks to launch the “60.12” initiative. ‘60’ stands for 60 leaders; ‘12’ is the number of months—a year of monthly meetings in 12 different locations around New England. There was a sense of confirmation from the Lord when exactly 60 people registered for and attended the first gathering.
- 60.12 ended in March of 2011, and regular meetings stopped for a season. While we weren’t always working together, the relationships formed through the Alliance were providing pathways for state and city-based unity initiatives to take off.
- In 2013, we resumed meeting together several times a year. It felt like the family had come back together!
- In 2016, we sensed God relaunching us into a new season of activity. This sense of the Spirit’s leading would culminate that year in the RESTORE Convocation at the historic Northfield Campus.
In 2017, the Alliance continued moving into a new season of acceleration and activity including seeing 10 Days of Prayer in over 15 locations throughout New England and in the Restore and Revive Conference from September 29-October 2.
In addition, on October 1st 2017, we launched New England Prays, a 24/7 Prayer Canopy launching in October of 2017. The Prayer Canopy began with over 30 local churches praying one day/month 24/7 and now includes over 80 churches around the region.
The Alliance is, quite simply, a vehicle for John 17 unity and awakening in New England. It’s nothing more and nothing less than a way for followers of Jesus who worship the Father, submit to the Scripture, and are led by the Holy Spirit to walk together in the New England region for the purposes of God’s heart in our time.
We’re going to seek the Lord together—Won’t you come with us? (Zech 8:20-23)